Top 5 Things You Should Know about UV Eye Protection
Despite the importance of always wearing UV-protective sunglasses while outside, many people are still unaware of these key points regarding UV eye protection. Use these guidelines for your next sunglasses-related story.
- Despite the health risks of UV exposure, not all sunglasses have UV protection.Since UV protection is crucial to shielding eyes from damaging radiation, it is imperative to look for a label, sticker or tag indicating UV protection before purchasing a pair of sunglasses.
- UV protection has nothing to do with the darkness or color of a lens. Wearing sunglasses with dark lenses without adequate UV protection can actually be worse than wearing no sunglasses at all because they cause the eye’s pupil to dilate, which then increases retinal exposure to the unfiltered UV.
- Children receive three times the annual sun exposure of adults, increasing their susceptibility to UV eye damage. And, unlike the mature ocular lens of an adult eye, a child’s immature lens cannot filter out UV as easily. The need for UV protection for children is compounded by the fact that it is easier to find youth sunglasses that do not provide adequate UV protection. That’s why parents should always have their children‘s sunglasses tested for UV protection.
- UV rays are just as dangerous on cloudy days as they are on clear days. Just like skin, eyes can accumulate harmful UV radiation on overcast days so be sure to wear proper eye and skin protection while outside.
- Similar to cloudy days, cold days also carry UV risk. The sun is present year-round, which means UV rays are a constant regardless of weather. UV rays can’t be seen, but their long-term effects are extremely damaging to the eyes.
Why is National sunglasses day celebrated?
National Sunglasses Day is an annual event celebrated on June 27th since it’s the birth date of Sam Foster, who introduced mass-manufactured sunglasses to the United States in 1929. The day celebrates not only the invention of sunglasses but also serves as a reminder to protect our eyes from UV rays and other forms of sunlight radiation.
Sunglasses have been around for centuries, with ancient civilizations like the Chinese and Inuit tribes manufacturing variations for centuries before Foster’s introduction. However, Foster was the first American to popularize sunglasses, allowing them to become a fashion item instead of simply protection from sunlight.
The main reason National Sunglasses Day is celebrated is to remind people that just because sunglasses look stylish doesn’t mean that they don’t also offer much needed protection against harmful UVB and UVA rays. The sun can cause permanent damage to your eyes including cataracts or macular degeneration if you don’t take steps to protect them. Wearing UV protected sunglasses when outdoors can filter out these harmful rays and keep your vision healthy.
On this day, many companies celebrate by offering discounts on sunglasses, while non-profit organizations will have educational campaigns promoting awareness about eye health and protection from ultraviolet radiation exposure through proper eyewear.
Are sunglasses a good idea?
Sunglasses are absolutely a good idea! Not only do they provide necessary protection from the sun’s harmful UV rays, but they can also help to enhance your fashion sense and personal style. National Sunglasses Day is an occasion to take advantage of the numerous benefits that sunglasses can provide.
At OPTYX, we understand just how important it is to have quality eye protection. That’s why we offer stylish designer frames that not only look great, but also guard against UVA and UVB radiation from the sun. Our polarized lenses will keep your eyes safe no matter what activity you decide to embark on. Plus, our selection includes both prescription and non-prescription sunglasses for those with perfect vision and those who need corrective lenses.
Not only do sunglasses protect against the sun, but they can also be used as a fashion accessory. Whether you want a classic aviator frame, or something more modern like our selection of rimless metal frames, there’s sure to be something that fits your style. So next time you go out into the sun, don’t forget your trusty pair of sunglasses – after all, National Sunglasses Day is coming up soon!
What is the symbol with sunglasses?
On National Sunglasses Day, OPTYX celebrates the day by honoring and reminding people of the importance of protecting their eyes from the sun’s damaging rays. The symbol is a reminder for everyone to keep their eyes safe and stylish at the same time. In addition to this, OPTYX also offers an expansive collection of high-quality sunglasses that come in various styles and colors, so you can find just the right pair! With their stylish designs and protective lenses, OPTYX sunglasses are her you’re looking for something classic or more modern, there’ssure to make a statement no matter what look you’re going for. Whet something perfect waiting for you in the OPTYX collection.